Wednesday, November 16, 2005

 

Mercer, Mercer, Mercer

I received an email from an old friend yesterday. Mercer (www.mercer.edu) and the Georgia Baptist Convention are having hmm...issues with each other. Beth started a group called the Mercer Triangle Symposium (www.mercer.edu/mts) right after we left Mercer. The group has come under fire from the GBC, whose members don't believe Mercer should permit students to think freely. MTS is for gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgender students.

This story assures me that Mercer is still the same old Mercer it was when I was there. In a way, it rejuvenates me, too. It makes me excited to think that there are relatively small actions we can take that cause such frustration on the part of ultra-conservatives. I hope it creates the time for an open debate about such issues as well.

You can read the article about it here: http://www.christianindex.org/1720.article

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?